Monday, November 19, 2012

Welcome to The Dumb Jock Myth

Planning how to introduce yourself to the blogging community is much harder than I ever anticipated.  My name is Adam Howell.  I am a middle school teacher.  I was born and raised and did my undergraduate work in Michigan and I moved to Oregon in 2008 for my first teaching position.  I am halfway through my fifth year of teaching and am currently working on my master's degree in Educational Leadership at Portland State University.  

Technology is a passion of mine.  I started using Twitter extensively as a way to connect with other educators in 2011.  It has allowed me to move beyond the walls of my classroom.  This is my next foray into the vast world of #edtech.  I hope to use this blog as a way for me to reflect on my own practice and to further make connections in my PLN.  Also, I hope to be able to shine a light on the things I am doing in my own practice.  Since there is one difference between myself and many of the other connected educators I have met in the past year and a half...

I teach Physical Education and Health.  

I believe passionately in the power of exercise and how that affects the brain in an incredible way.  Brain Rules by John Medina and Spark by John Ratey have defined how I look at my content area.  I hope to be able to share that passion with you through this blog.

I want to shatter the stereotype that anybody can teach "gym." I want to break the mold that most PE/Health teachers are jocks turned coaches who would rather be planning a practice, instead of making a difference with students.

I want to prove that the dumb jock is a myth.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read more about your journey! I am also pursuing my master's in Ed Leadership, and am always interested in hearing about what's going on in other schools.

    ReplyDelete